Thanksgiving weekend was certainly a weekend of shock! It started out with an awesome football game on Saturday night in which Alabama finally was able to defeat their arch-rival Auburn! I was so excited about this game that it sent me into cardiac arrest...really! No...not really but Saturday night after the game when I went to bed, I never dreamed of what would happen next.
Many of you know that I woke up around 2:30am that Sunday morning very ill. My heart was beating so hard out of my chest that I really thought I was having a heart attack. I got Kevin to wake up and went to the bathroom b/c I thought I was going to be stomach sick. I quickly realized that I did not have a stomach ache and that something was really wrong. All I could do was lie down on the cold tile floor of our bathroom where I slowly slipped in and out of being aware of what was going on around me. I remember telling Kevin to call someone. I remember feeling a hot and cold rush come over my body as my heart beat so hard that I thought I was dying. I remember feeling clammy. I remember hearing Kevin speak with someone at 911 about my blood pressure being around 70/50 something. I remember telling Kevin to make sure Kevin, Jr. didn't see me sick. While I was very scared about what was happening and I questioned what was going on in my body...was I dying...was I having a heart attack...I never really felt a "my life is flashing in front of me" kind of panic. I had a kind of peace that I am sure came from the good Lord above.
After about 20 minutes of craziness, my heart began to calm down and I was able to sit up and talk more coherently. As the ambulance arrived, I was actually able to stand up and sit in a chair. I answered questions like "when is your birthday...what medications are you on...what's your social security number" and felt a whole lot better. Still, I could feel a twitch in my chest that was constant. I would later learn once I arrived at the ER that this was what was called "atrial fibrillation." The ER doctor never really gave me a diagnosis. There were guesses that it "might" be my diet medicine though doubtful since I've been on it longterm w/out issues and had not taken it all week before Thanksgiving since I knew I wasn't going to be really on a diet that week. There were thoughts that my CPAP (breathing machine for sleep apnea) could have been turned up too high since I've lost nearly 50lbs this year. But none of these thoughts really added up. My body is perfectly healthy...no cholesterol issues, great blood pressure, no thyroid issues...no one can pinpoint it. Instead, I went home Sunday morning and slept for 2 days. When I awoke, I felt like a new person.
Naturally, I had to see a specialist. The cardio doctor had me do a stress test and an echocardiogram on Thursday. Long story sorta short, the nurse called yesterday and said everything looked great! No issues inside from what they could observe. Their recommendation: come back in April for a basic check up and thank God it wasn't anything life-threatening.
So, as you can see, Life certainly grabbed me by the shirt and got my attention Thanksgiving weekend. It didn't really hit me how crazy this all was and how scared I should have been till I got home and was getting ready to go to sleep. Then it hit me...I was scared to go to sleep....would it happen again....if so, would I wake up? Would I see my precious son and husband again? Then I think it all came crashing down and I cried a bit. I didn't cry too long though...because very quickly, God was there. He reminded me in that small still Voice He always uses that He is the one who decides if I will wake up again. He assured me that life is not about what has happened but what will happen. He simply wrapped his strong arms around me and said, "Go to sleep child...I've got plans for you and your family." So, I went to sleep...and a week and half later...I'm still here...God willing...typing this post and sharing how wonderful God is...if we just stop and take the time to listen to Him and place our trust in Him.
I certainly have a new perspective on life now. Not the "It's a Wonderful Life" kind of drama perspecitive but just a quiet appreciation for things that I took for granted beforehand. My only prayer now is that God will help me keep that perspective for as long as I live...it sure has made the last week and half much sweeter.
Thanks to all of you who sent up prayers, emailed, called and even sent cards. :) HUGS! I truly do appreciate that! Now...I'm off to play with my son and wrap some Christmas gifts! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













2 comments:
Glad you are ok Tard.
Oh my goodness, I bet that was so scary! I am glad you are doing better and all your pics of Kevin Jr are so cute. He looks very organized to me so I would be thankful!
Post a Comment