Now back to the title of this post, "Just like it was yesterday" because that is exactly what it felt like when I was able to meet up with a good friend from college last week! Cindy and I have been friends since we both came to meet in our freshman dorm at the University of Montevallo wayyyy back in 1992. We both were assigned to the 4th floor of Brooke Hall! That floor assignment means way more to me than it did the day I first stepped foot on it's floors. Many friendships were made on the hall and I've been very fortunate to find some of these dear friends in recent months on Facebook.
If you had to label our group of friends in today's terms, I would say we had a 4th floor posse (did I spell that right...geez, I'm old!) and Cindy was the ring leader of alot of the whoopla! From all night Skip-bo games, late night runs to the Waffle House and trips to the Galleria (not gonna call it what Cindy did...or the BP gas station for that matter!!!), Cindy was sure to be there. So, when I decided to join Facebook a month or two ago, I had the biggest surprise when a screen popped up (chat screen) and Cindy said "Hey Tard!" I about fell over...first off b/c I had no idea there was a chat screen at that point b/c it was all new. Secondly, b/c NO ONE had called me Tard since 1990something. Lastly, b/c Cindy was talking to me and it had been YEARS!!
**Here's a short aside- Yes...Cindy calls me Tard. Argh! Cruel? YES! Does it bother me?? No...I'm used to it. It actually started out when she (and of course everyone else on 4th floor too thanks to her) "Leightard" which rhymes with retard. Nice, huh?? Then it was shortened to "tard" and actually was shortened even more to "T" for a while...so 1990s, huh? But "Tard" tends to be the name that stuck. Please don't think I'm stupid or that it bothers me...that's just Cindy! Cindy...just one request...if I die one day soon, DO NOT put it on one of those funeral wreaths w/ a big fat ribbon and glitter paint that says "TARD" across it....OK??? If I die, the name dies with me!!! Now back to my story....
Long story short (I know...I know...I ramble too much...sorry), we've been chatting quite a bit since then and decided that when she headed south to Mobile, we would meet up and meet each other's children as well! So, we met last week at Barnes and Noble since that was about the only child-friendly place I could think of that wouldn't kick my son out after 5 minutes of his craziness!! HA!
Naturally, Cindy was late and had to make a grand entrance (lol...just kidding Cindy) but when we finally saw each other it was just like it was yesterday. We talked about old times, old friends, new times, new kids, and it was just like it was yesterday. Crazy!! I am ashamed that it's been this long in getting in touch and wonder how much I've missed with Cindy and many of my other friends in the last 10-15 years. I thank God for the blessing of being reunited!
Below are a few pics of our short time together at Barnes and Noble and also at Stix Restaurant!!
Kevin and Christopher playing at the train table.
Kevin was holding Christopher but I honestly thought he was gonna bodyslam him on the floor off the restaurant! Cindy, you are brave to let K2 hold your child! HA!
Here is a calmer picture of the two boys together! I have no idea what was up with Kevin's cheeks...he looks like an elf from the North Pole! HA!
Here's a picture of all of us (minus my husband b/c he was taking the picture)...what a great time we had!!













2 comments:
I AM SAD! I want to hang out too. I have a picture I drew of all of us on the 4th floor, and BTW we were the 4th Floor Freakshow according to Jenn McDill. Ahhh, good times, good times!
AWWWWWWWWWWW Tard that brought a tear to my eye. We had such a great time with you guys and really need to do it again soon. So glad we "found each other".
Post a Comment