Saturday, October 11, 2008

Happy 4th Birthday to our son!!

As you can see in the slideshow below my posts, Kevin, Jr. had a blast on his birthday today! As if going to Disney World two weeks ago for his birthday celebration wasn't enough, he HAD to go to Johnny Rockets tonight because it's "cool!" So, Kevin and I packed him up in the car and brought a few surprises along with us. We secretly had ordered a cake from Mrs. Britton, the most famous cake baker in Foley! She outdid herself, especially considering we ordered the cake VERY last minute. I also picked up a few small gifts from Little Things at the Wharf that K2 had seen last night and about went bonkers to have! Yes...we had vowed to get no presents after we left Disney World but what can Kevin and I say other than we are WEAK!! Ha!

When we arrived at Johnny Rockets tonight, Kevin snuck the cake in while I distracted K2. We ordered and opened his presents. As you can see in the pics, he was THRILLED with his two presents....he should be...he hand picked them! But when the awesome staff at Johnny Rockets came out with our cake all lit up and singing Happy Birthday to him, he smiled from ear to ear! JR's was sooooo nice to do such a bang up job on his birthday presentation!! We had a wonderful time eating cake and talking about what we were going to do at the Track after we finished eating. At the Track, we rode the Woody go-karts (I will not do that EVER again...argh) then K2 rode alot of the kid rides in the Kid Country section.

I sat there talking to Kevin as Kevin, Jr. rode around and around on the Ferris Wheel and Merry-Go-Round about how much our little boy has changed in the last four years. It really does happen in the blink of an eye. I still see him as my baby...and he is a baby in many ways. Still, he is growing up. He told me today that now that his not "free" (three) and is four that he is a BIG boy! I told him he was right! But my heart ached a little tonight to think that I will blink again and my son will be 8 and then 12 and then 16 (ARGH!!!!)...

I realized again tonight how important it is that Kevin and I spend extra time with him now before he is gone. We are only given a few short years to invest in our son before we have to set him free and hope he soars. With the pull of ministry and other obligations, it is very easy for K2 to get lost in the shuffle. It happens often. But tonight was just for "us" and Kevin and I were reminded that Kevin, Jr. is our first mission field...our first ministry in life. God has given us a special gift in our precious son. We celebrated that gift tonight! We thank God very much for allowing us to spend the last 4 years with a little boy, full of life and happiness and peace.

Happy Birthday Kevin....your Mommy and Daddy love you "all the way...and then some more!!!" Our prayer is that the next 4 years will be as wonderful as the past 4 years!

1 comment:

kelli said...

LOVE LOVE your blog....i love your title too! how did you find that cool heading....kelli