Monday, October 6, 2008

Kevin and Kevin, Jr...what a mess!


From reading my fish bowl summary above, I'm sure you've gathered that Kevin, Jr. (K2) is just like his daddy. MERCY! Sometimes it wears me out! When we all get home from work and eat dinner, I have a VERY hard time getting a word in edgewise! Kevin talks non-stop about church, Alabama football, church, Nick Saban, Paul Finebaum, church. On top of that K2 talks about everything...look at that froggie on the window, when is Spongebob (grrr) coming on, I want to back to Disney World, when is Spongebob (grrr) coming on???? Most nights, I sit at the dinnertable and referee whose turn it is to talk. K2 has really gotten quite spunky and will tell Kevin, "Excuse me Daddy...you interrupted me...I was talking to momma!" It is really quite humorous!


When I am looking at my husband's blue eyes, I can glance over to my son's blue eyes and never know I switched faces. They are made from the exact same cloth, same DNA! Yet, K2 has my characteristics too...mainly a very round tummy and a stubborn streak (although that is a Nelson and Montgomery trait) but he is a very sensitive heart. He hates getting in trouble but still, like his momma, he does not know when to stop....stop talking, stop arguing, stop aggravating! HA! Poor soul!


As I sat and looked at K2 a minute ago when he slept and thought about his 4th birthday that is coming up on Saturday, I wondered how in the world I was gonna make it through the years ahead. I shiver when I think of him becoming a teenager. I hate to think of him going to college.


Kevin and I talk about this often. It hurts to see him growing up yet we desire to see him grow and so we can be there for every momentous occasion as it happens. I find myself pushing him to learn this or that and then hear a voice in the back of my head say, "Stop...that'll make him grow up even faster." Still, I push.


The way God wired us as parents is a great contradiction. We want them to move forward and excel yet we want to hold onto them as babies. One day, I'll miss being the dinner table referee. One day, I'll miss the stubborn boy that insists that he IS right! He'll be all grown up. Argh...it makes my stomach hurt.


I don't know how a person can parent without Christ. I just cannot imagine having these types of concerns and not having someone I can give it all to. I know Christ will guide my little boy through life. That is the only reason I can sleep at night. I thank God for his provisions and Holy Spirit that will one day draw my little stubborn talker to Him and turn him into a bold witness for Him. I have to believe that God will care for Him just as He has since the beginning. What a comfort to rest in the arms of our Lord and know that He will sustain us in parenthood! Whew...now I think I can rest my heart for a while....at least until dinnertime tomorrow night!

No comments: