
Tonight I had the awesome opportunity of seeing some friends that I rarely get to hang out with anymore. Kristy Bedsole and I had been saying for a couple of years that we should get the kids together and well...that was all it amounted to...words.
With the arrival of Debbie back home in Alabama, I wanted more than ever to get together and just hang out for a while. Kristy and I decided to finally make a dinner date and that date was tonight. This also was the first playdate (or fooddate really) for Brooke (Kristy's daughter) and Kevin, Jr. I was thrilled when Kristy told me that not only were they coming but both of her sisters, Debbie and Shannon, were going to eat with us as well!
It's crazy that life can separate people for what seems like forever...we send an email here or there...run into each other on special occasions but that's it. Still, tonight I found myself surrounded by friends...friends that I hadn't spent real time with in years, yet I felt like we had never missed a day together. It was an absolute joy to spend time with these gals tonight as well as Brooke! I cherish friendships like these that were made as a young person...we've all grown up and no matter how different our lives are at this point, we are bonded for life because of those precious days we spent together in years past. I thank God for friends like these! Now, we just need to make sure that another eternity doesn't go by before we see each other again!
Another side to my night was watching my son in the presence of Brooke. He had been very excited from the moment I arrived home from work. When I left this morning to go to school, I told him that when I got home, we would get a bath and get dressed to go see Brooke at dinner. Toys...cartoons...everything screeched to a halt when I walked in the house this afternoon! He was ready to get dolled up for his time out on the town...it was really quite hilarious! He got his bath (he did take time to play with an entire can of shaving cream though), combed his hair and brushed his teeth. K2 has a Veggie Tales toothbrush that has a button you push and VT songs come on for the 2 minutes that a child is supposed to brush their teeth. Well, I knew K2 was excited when he hit the music button on his toothbrush for a second time! He wanted his teeth to be shiny and squeaky clean!!
After all of K2's efforts, I just knew this night would be a breeze...that K2 would act like a true gentlemen. Well, my theory flew out the door when I realized that K2 was soooooo excited when Brooke finally arrived (donning her beautiful white bow and precious dress, might I add) that he COULD NOT sit still nor stop talking. The entire meal he was an absolute nut!! I was a bit discouraged by his behavior but able to control my upset until he hit rock bottom on his fooddate...he quoted SpongeBob and called Brooke a "stupid squirrel" (a reference that SBob makes to Sandy the Squirrel on the show)...you should have seen Brooke's face. I quickly grabbed him up as he cried and proceeded to take him to the restroom for punishment. He took his punishment and went back to Brooke and apologized. Brooke was very quick to forgive and once K2 cried out his embarassment a little, they were back to being best friends. Here are somes pics from the big night:
K2 acting like a nut b/c Brooke is watching

He just couldn't quit asking to hug her and then he just couldn't stop hugging her!


As we drove off from the roller coaster dinner, I had a knot in my stomach about the way he acted but knew alot of it was simply because he had no idea how to control his excitement in this situation. I gave him the typical mom lecture about how we behave in public and told him that I knew he was excited but that he could not act like that. He understood and then kind of stayed quiet as we went towards Orange Beach to a store owned by my friend, Mindy. I told Mindy all about the night and how nuts he acted. He was acting like a nut at her store too!! What was wrong with my child?? I just had a hard time letting go of it all...and honestly, I was a bit embarrassed about how he had acted both places we had gone tonight. I never want people to see my child and say that he is out of control. I suppose that is just the teacher in me but that is how I am wired.
Now, I'm sure you are wondering what the point of this all is....why am I sharing this novel about my child's wild behavior?? Well...this is why...
On the ride home from Orange Beach, K2 and I listened to our new Disney CD, "Wishes," that we had bought on our trip a few weeks ago. He listed to all the songs that talk about believing in our dreams. After the CD ended, I turned off the radio and just out of the blue asked him a questions. Here is how the conversation went:
"So, K2, I have a question for you..."
"Yeah, Mommy???"
"If you could wish for anything in the whole wide world, what would you wish for to come true??"
His response floored me. After the turbulent night of behavior issues and my slight lack of faith in my child's attitude, he gave me the following answer:
"Hmmmm....what would I wish for?? Ummmm....I fink (think) that if I could wish for anyfing (anything) in the whole wide world, I would wish for one fing (thing)...that Jesus would come down from Heaven and come here with all of us!"
Man....my heart filled with joy and flew straight out of my chest! At that very moment, I couldn't have been more proud of my son....and I told him so!
I have to believe that somewhere deep down in that bundle of wild and exuberant energy my son possesses is a seed of faith that has been planted and that God is watering it at his own pace....not necessarily my pace but His pace. I found myself telling the Lord how sorry I was for not trusting more in His care and direction for my son. I also gave God thanks for showing me a glimmer of His harvest that is yet to come in the life of my sweet precious son. Wow!
I thank God for tonight...it was a time to fellowship with old friends and for my son to make new friends...it was a time for one of many lessons that God will teach me as a mom....and I am honored that God was there watching us the whole time...and reminding me that He will always be there for my family. Thank you, Lord...













No comments:
Post a Comment